Heavenly Demon, Chapter Thirteen

Moderator: JLMcCafferty

Heavenly Demon, Chapter Thirteen

Postby JLMcCafferty » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 am

@image http://media.rivalcastmedia.com/staff/w ... -demon.jpg

Heavenly Demon is a fifteen-chapter novel by RCM staffer Kolemsai.

I slowly made my way to the school, arm still blazing in pain. I was concerned about Laxidan. He never answered my call for help. Not that he could have really done anything to actually help me, but I figured he would have said something to me at the very least.

Thank God Steven showed up. How did he know where I was? Regardless, I owed him my life, even if the man did want to kill me himself.

I was still covered in blood when I reached the school. I had wrapped my wound with a piece of my shirt sleeve that I tore off in an attempt to stop the bleeding. I needed to go to the hospital, but there were answers I needed before Laxidan changed his mind. The hospital could wait.

I entered the boiler room and the door to Laxidan's cave was already open. I entered to see Laxidan sitting with someone.

It was my father.

He was looking very anxious sitting next to the demon, smoking a cigarette, something I had no idea that he did. His anxiety wasn't directed at Laxidan, though. It seemed to be toward me.

I stopped at the doorway. What's going on? Laxidan looked at me in his usual, calm demeanor.

You wanted answers, Devin. We are here to give them to you.

We? What does my dad have to do with this?

You shall see. Come and sit.

“Sit down, son,” Dad said in a sorrowful tone. “I have a lot to tell you.”

I sat against the wall next to the door, putting some distance between them and myself. I had a feeling this wasn't going to be pretty.

“I'm fine, by the way.” Maybe he didn't notice all of the blood.

“He knows, Devin,” Laxidan replied. “I told him that you were in pain, but wanted to do this first.”

“I do want to get you some medical attention soon though. So I'll start.” Dad looked like he wanted to get this over with.

“It started in my senior year of high school. I wasn't the most popular guy in school, but I wasn't shunned or a nerd either. I had friends, played sports, you know, I was just a normal kid in the middle of the bunch.

“Well, that year your mother and I started dating.” He paused for a moment, his face lighting up. Even Laxidan smiled a little. “It was great! I had never been happier in my life, and I knew right away that I was going to marry her.

“But your mother, well I don't think she quite felt the same way. We had a great relationship, and dated for about three months before HE came around.”

I looked at Laxidan. Was it him?

“Pat Franklin,” my father spat. Every word made him angrier. “He was the most popular guy in school. Captain of the basketball and baseball teams, honor roll student and class president. He was also in a really popular local band. He could have had anyone, but he had to go after MY Lorna. So she dumped me for him.”

Veins popped out of his neck and his face turned red. “Oh, I wanted to kill him!” He clenched his fists as rage took over. “She ignored me after that, wouldn't even say hi to me in the hallway!” He finally relaxed a bit, some color returning to his hands and face. “But I couldn't confront him. I didn't want Lorna mad at me, and I was too much of a coward to face Pat alone.

“One day I went home and broke into my father's liquor cabinet, stole a couple of bottles and ran into the woods. I drank and cried all night. I cried out to God, chastising Him for taking my love away from me. I begged to get her back. Then I made the biggest mistake of my life.”

He paused for a minute, trying to gather himself. Tears formed in his eyes and he wiped them away quickly, like he was trying to hide them from me. Laxidan put a comforting hand on his shoulder, a gesture that shocked me almost as much as my father's emotional roller coaster.

Dad took a deep breath and continued. “I screamed 'I'll give up my soul to get her back!' That's when the demon appeared. He was monstrous. Twice my size, with giant black wings and dark green skin.”

“It was a Pit Fiend,” Laxidan interrupted, “the warriors of hell. They go out often to replenish their supply of souls, since they are constantly in battle and normally get Active souls, they have to resupply. I know this demon, he is called Cecorix in mortal tongue.”

“Yes, anyway he approached me. I was terrified, I thought he was going to kill me and take my soul right then and there. All he said was, 'I want the soul of your first born, and I will give you this woman back.'

“Now, I was told when I was a kid that I would never be able to have children, so I agreed without a second thought, thinking it was a freebie. The next day, Lorna came up to me at school, and said she was sorry and begged me to take her back. So I did.”

I was appalled. How could my father do such a thing? Anger must have flashed on my face because my father looked at me, his eyes wide.

“Don't judge me, son. I wasn't much older than you are now. We make mistakes when we are young.

“Now back to my story. Yes, so we were back together, and in love. We went to the same college, and got married after we graduated. Life was perfect.

“I had just graduated college when your mom approached me, giddy as a child. She said I was going to be a father. I should have been happy, after all I wasn't supposed to be able to have kids, it was a miracle. But I was terrified. I remembered my pact with the demon. I spent days praying to God to protect you. And while God didn't answer me, Laxidan did.”

Dad was obviously ashamed, and it was evident that he was having a hard time holding himself together.

“Richard, please allow me to finish the story for you.” Dad nodded and Laxidan began to speak.

“I heard Richard's cries for help, and I answered him. I guided him here, and he told me his tale, just as he is telling us now. I knew he was remorseful. I could see in his heart that if he could have children, he would not have made that sacrifice.

“So I took it upon myself to prevent this soul from being taken. I placed a ward on you so nobody would know of your existence.”

Anger flared up inside of me as it never had before. THEY did this to me? My father and my only friend are the ones that ruined my life? My chest began to hurt; my body was channeling magic on its own. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as rage flowed through my veins. A dark part of me wanted to make them pay.

“You have a right to your anger Devin Anson. I will accept any punishment you wish to give, all I ask is that you do not harm your father.”

Dad was looking around wide-eyed like the roof was going to collapse on top of him. Even Laxidan looked worried, although he channeled no magic himself. “Devin,” Dad said in a weak voice, “please calm down son. Please.”

Maybe it was the way he said it. Perhaps it was the look of concern and care on the face of the demon. Whatever it was, I was able to calm down, and release my body's hold on the magic.

“At the time, it was the best option we had.” Even Laxidan's tone changed to something almost regretful. “It was either that, or lose you entirely. This was the lesser alternative.

“But you must be wary, Devin. Cecorix will be after you. Now the only way to get your soul is to kill you.”

Dad's face went pale. “You can stop him, can't you Lax?”

“If I was free, possibly.”

My Dad let out a very audible sigh.

“But these chains to more than hold me back. I'm afraid I won't be able to do much if he does appear.

“Devin is strong with our magic Richard, and has access to more powers than any demon could dream of. But he is inexperienced. He lacks the knowledge and finesse that would make him successful. He was able to win a mental battle against me and Felliste, but he will not be victorious in a contest of strength against a Pit Fiend, who are born and bred for war and battle.”

“So what do we do?” I asked.

“You need to practice magic as often as you can. Use it at home, at school. Come see me as often as you can, and I will show you everything I know.

“Richard is the only mortal that knows of your abilities. Felliste and I are the only demons. You MUST not let anyone else know. Keep your mind closed at all times.”

“Well,” I started, feeling ashamed, “there's something I need to tell you then.” And I told them both everything; about Alyssa, about my magic not working on Jeremy. I left out the sex though, they didn't need to know about that.

“It seems,” Laxidan began when I finished my tale, “that your magic does not work on mortals, just as mine will not work on other demons. That is good.”

“What do you mean, good?” I was yelling now. “I could have been killed tonight! If my magic worked, I would have been in no danger at all!”

“I will not have more mortal deaths on my conscience!”

I was suddenly reminded that Laxidan was actually a demon at that moment, something I took for granted. His body did not glow of magic, but his demon self came through. Black wings sprouted from his back and the ram-like horns grew out of his head. His teeth ended in fangs, and it looked like his hands had enlarged a little bit, fingers ending in short claws where his fingernails should have been. His voice changed too, like there was a very dark undertone, and his eyes shone red. I had not seen him this way since our first encounter. That same fear returned. I didn't fear the succubi; I'm not sure if it was because they were women or that I had never seen them angry, but I was scared of Laxidan. Dad was scared too, scurrying away from the demon as fast as he could.

He stood in front of me menacingly, staring into my eyes. He didn't say another word, but he didn't need to. Laxidan was genuine. He didn't want to hurt anyone, I could see it. This demon was a good person.

Lax, I reached out to him. I wasn't sure that he would hear me otherwise. It's okay. I didn't mean it like that. Please.

The demon calmed down, just as I had, and his features returned to the human-like form I was used to.

“I am sorry Devin, Richard. I did not mean to scare you, but I do not want to see blood shed. I have committed many sins in my life, I do not wish to commit any more. Devin, promise me that you will only use your powers against demons. Not anything else, including beings from Heaven.”

“I promise.” I doubted I would have any run-ins with angels or whatever; and my magic didn't work on humans. Seemed like the easiest promise in the world to keep.

“It's late, son,” Dad said as he approached me, “we need to get that arm looked at.”

I had been able to ignore the pain this whole time, but the instant he mentioned it pain filled my mind once again. I didn't say a word when my father ushered me out of the cave.

Navigation
Very Beginning
Last Chapter
Next Chapter
Thoughts? Comments? Hate mail? Get the conversation started on the comments thread below, by email at jen.mccafferty@rivalcastmedia.com, or @BaronessvGosu on the Tweeter
JLMcCafferty
Rival

Return to Heavenly Demon