What else is on?

Moderator: sekani

What else is on?

Postby sekani » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:16 pm

I haven't turned on my TV in about two weeks. Doesn't seem like there's anything good on lately. Well, there's Game of Thrones, but that's been collecting virtual dust on my DVR while I do other things like play games and watch anime on Hulu. So, I managed to miss most of the coverage on the big story last week, the bombing at the Boston Marathon and the manhunt afterwards. Well, I missed the mainstream media's TV coverage, I should say. Twitter seemed to do a pretty good job at keeping me up to date whether I cared or not, and I browsed through the cliff notes at the end of the day on my RSS reader.

I've never been a big fan of TV news coverage as whole. Probably the most minor offense is that they fill time with bullshit when there's nothing new to report during a major event. The biggest two issues are their need to be "first" as opposed to "true", and their need to over-dramatize everything to make a "compelling" narrative instead of just giving us the facts. The coverage of the Sandy Hook shooting back in mid-December was pretty much the last straw. The perpetuation of the assault weapon meme went so far as to claim that the shooter actually used an AR-15 to commit the crime; the truth (which most people don't even know, shockingly) is that the evil rifle was found in the trunk of Lanza's car, and was never fired.

Still, all we heard about subsequently in the media for weeks were "semi-automatic assault weapons" and "high-capacity magazines". I guess this makes a much better story than the truth for some reason, right? So even when I heard about the Boston thing, after the initial HOLY CRAP moment I was wondering how the media was going to spin this for the sake of ratings or some other agenda. So far I've read about connections to immigration reform, being that the suspects were foreign-born (even though the younger Tsarnaev is currently an American citizen), as well as using it as an excuse to drum up support for CISPA. Basically, it's going to be a repeat of what happened after Sandy Hook: a bunch of people are going to speak and act with their fear and emotion instead of their brains, and we're going to get the threat of more knee-jerk legislation which is BAD for everyone, but it'll be touted as the answer to make us all safer.

As Benjamin Franklin once wrote, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." The way things are going now, I don't think we're getting much of either. It makes me scared for the future of the United States at times.

Then I turn off the TV, and stop worrying about it. I've got video games to play.
Me > You
sekani
Veteran

Return to Sekani