3D Renderings

3D Renderings

Postby Edge Damodred » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 pm

So I've been messing around with Blender, checking out various tutorials on BlenderGuru and such. Been playing around with the fluid simulator. These images are mostly just test renders as I set the definition of the fluid rather low so my computer didn't take too long doing the simulation.

Feel free to share any renderings you've done.

When in doubt, hit it with a bigger hammer.
Edge Damodred
Rival

Re: 3D Renderings

Postby Varyar1G » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Those are pretty cool actually.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced, to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are." - Father Kevin Keaney - 1st MarDiv Chaplain - Korean War
"Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems." - Ryan Job
Varyar1G
Founder/Owner

Postby Edge Damodred » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 pm

With some of the behind the scenes things going on here this eventually led me to playing around with the toon shaders in Cycles. Here's one of my early results.
Edge Damodred
Rival

Postby Edge Damodred » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

More fun with Blender! This time I got inspired by an ice making tutorial and decided to see how RivalCast Media looked on it. The font seemed to provide a nice elegant counterbalance to the chaotic ice while still relating to it's edge smoothness.

Then I started having some more fun with the compositor

Still not sure I want to spend the rather lengthy time animating it though the ice wall part surprisingly didn't take as long as I thought it would to render. It's surprisingly lower sample rate friendly(~500) compared to some other glass materials I've worked with before, I guess the bump mapping goes a long way towards that.

Sorta-off topic but related: There's finally some good news on the AMD front for using OpenCL for GPU rendering. The latest drivers(13.8) and beta drivers(13.10) actually allow you to compile the full Cycles kernel...provided you have the RAM for it. Sadly my motherboard is maxed at 8GB and Windows bitches about low RAM when I try to compile anything more than SVN and Emissions for Cycles(RAM stayed pegged at 7.98GB for 45 minutes compiling the damn thing with 7.5GB going to Blender alone). Hopefully this means the Blender team will resume work on the OpenCL version of the renderer though right now I'd still recommend either a powerful i7 CPU or a high end GeForce card right now for GPU Computing. Features both supported and experimental will always come first to the CPU version then the GPU so for flexibility's sake I'd favor getting a higher processor
Edge Damodred
Rival

Return to Listener Side Projects