Operation Supply Drop:Games for Troops

Moderator: Varyar1G

Operation Supply Drop:Games for Troops

Postby Varyar1G » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Seeing as it's Fourth of July weekend, I thought I could find something to write about that was both relevant to gaming and what this weekend is all about. I was successful. Operation Supply Drop is a charity, founded by Captain Stephen Machuga (ret.), that builds care packages for the men and women serving in the United States Armed Forces.

Cpt. Machuga was serving in Iraq when he received a care package containing used Harlequin romance novels. After his unit got done using them as targets on the range, Cpt. Machuga realized that, while they meant well, most civilians had no idea what the troops would actually like to see in care packages. After retiring, he started Operation Supply Drop, a fully registered 501(c)3 nonprofit charity, to create video game based care packages for those serving downrange, as well as the wounded warriors recovering in military hospitals back home. So far he has raised over $300,000, and shows no signs of slowing down.

In fact, this week, he has gotten some very big names in the industry to contribute to his latest campaign, which he has dubbed PIXEL FIREWORKS. Both Valve and SEGA have made large contributions in games and paraphernalia to Operation Supply Drop, and other donations have poured in as well. In fact, PIXEL FIREWORKS, a campaign that started in May, has raised $25000 for this weeks care package deliveries, which will put a lot of games in a lot of hooches out there in Afghanistan.

With combat operations overseas slowing down, OSD is looking to transition from a war charity to a peace charity. In an interview with the Huffington Post, Cpt. Machuga said that he has begun working with military hospitals here in the US to provide these care packages to wounded warriors that were injured in the line of duty. In the same interview, he said that he has taken this charity as far as he can on his own, and that he's been trying to get some larger names in the industry to get behind him so that he can do more. Speaking personally, I'd say Valve and Sega constitute big names, and I look forward to seeing just how far Operation Supply Drop can go with their support.

If you want to know more about Operation Supply Drop, you can find their website at http://www.operationsupplydrop.org
If you care to make a donation, contact donations@operationsupplydrop.org
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced, to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are." - Father Kevin Keaney - 1st MarDiv Chaplain - Korean War
"Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems." - Ryan Job
Varyar1G
Founder/Owner

Return to Varyar1G