Naming a podcast

Past topics of general discussion which reached their natural end

Naming a podcast

Postby legol » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:37 am

Hey guys.

I've been mulling over starting up a podcast of my own with my best friend, and as typical for myself, I'm having a hard time coming up with a decent name.

I've been mentally stuck on "The Casual Canucks" or "Canadian Casuals", or something similar for the past week or so. So I'm coming to the community for help with suggestions, or feedback on our original ideas.

As for the podcast itself, I want to focus it as a general gaming podcast, but with inclusions of specific games (League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Warframe, Payday 2) and gaming news, as most gaming centered podcasts handle. I love the format of The RivalCast and EC, but I don't want to make it sound as just another clone. Besides, those two shows set the bar really high for quality.

Any feedback is appreciated :)
Won't someone please think of the children!? (Donate for my Extra Life charity gaming marathon below)
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=96466
legol
Recruit

Re: Naming a podcast

Postby vible » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:04 am

Canoodling with the Canucks
Casual Canadian Commentary
Crusty Canadian C**ts
vible
Veteran

Postby teh_leet_haxor » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:51 am

I imagine that part of the problem of thinking of a name is the extra hidden 'requirements' here:

• Mentioning Canada
  • Using alliteration
It's not wrong to have those, but even one 'condition' can be quite limiting. I'd ask if one or both of those could be dropped, or more generally I'd suggest deciding on what conditions the name 'should' follow, aiming to end up with fewer if possible.
teh_leet_haxor
Site Admin

Postby legol » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Well, Alliteration isn't a requirement, as one of my friend's suggestions was The Drop-pod podcast, which isn't bad, I just see other shows with the same name. I'd like to have some sort of gaming focused Canadian reference, but it's not mandatory. Just the one name that stuck in my head.

Basically I'm trying to figure out something that is memorable and works with our gaming focus....and what hasn't already been done of course.

And I'll still run the suggestions through to my friend and see what sticks :)
Won't someone please think of the children!? (Donate for my Extra Life charity gaming marathon below)
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=96466
legol
Recruit

Postby teh_leet_haxor » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:46 pm

So having thought about it, something like the 'casual canucks' sounds like a good piece of schtick to refer to yourselves. As for a name, the best I have at the moment is 'Game in the North', so the name is only a very loose reference to Canada.

I can sort of hear "you're listening to ___________ with the Casual Canucks" in my mind.
teh_leet_haxor
Site Admin

Postby Gorione » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:35 pm

How about "What's this aboot, eh?"
Communism jokes are only funny if shared with everyone.
Gorione
Veteran

Postby BiomedAlchemist » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Gorione wrote:How about "What's this aboot, eh?"

"Canadian Bacon Gamers" or "Maple Bacon Gamers"

It's got Canada, bacon, and games! :D Although Gorione's suggestion works as well.

-BMA
BiomedAlchemist
Veteran

Return to General Discussion Archive