Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim

Postby PeskyToaster » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm

I know Emp was a big fan of Godzilla movies and contrary to what I perceived about Pacific Rim before I've been hearing wonderful things about it. It's supposed to be Guillermo Del Toro's love letter to giant monster and robot movies. Just wanted to share that it has been getting pretty positive reviews/word of mouth and this came as a surprise to me so I wouldn't totally disregard it. I may go see it this weekend.
PeskyToaster
Recruit

Re: Pacific RIm

Postby Techpriest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:05 am

I've heard good stuff about it and I'm stoked to go and see it but for some bloody reason it's not out here until the second of august.
Techpriest
Veteran

Postby kolemsai » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:33 am

It really depends on what you're looking for in this type of film.

If you're expecting good acting, then this movie will be terrible. Seriously bad.

If you're expecting a good plot and story, then you will be disappointed. It's simple, predictable, and boring.

Now if you go into the movie theater forgetting both previous points and just want to see giant frickin robots bash giant frickin monsters in the face, then this movie will be excellent.

I took my oldest son to see it. He's at the age where he's old enough to be influenced by geek culture, but too young to be critical of anything. He loved it.

Point being, if you can go into the movie with the menality of a 12 year old, or at least the ability of ignoring the bad parts, you will have fun. I sure did.
If they stand behind you, give them protection.
If they stand beside you, give them respect.
If they stand against you, show no mercy.

--A really bitchin' Vegeta t-shirt I totally just bought.
kolemsai
Veteran

Postby Edge Damodred » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 pm

From what I've been hearing, if you basically skip the first 2/3's of the movie then it's really great.
When in doubt, hit it with a bigger hammer.
Edge Damodred
Rival

Postby Varyar1G » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:51 pm

As long as you watch it for what it is I found it very entertaining. Look, a movie like this I don't care about technical 'errors' or that the nuke should have destroyed them or any of that, I just want to watch giant robots punch giant monsters. Go in to it with that mindset and you should have a good time with it.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced, to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are." - Father Kevin Keaney - 1st MarDiv Chaplain - Korean War
"Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems." - Ryan Job
Varyar1G
Founder/Owner

Postby Edge Damodred » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Nope I want have it told to me Honestly

And have It nitpicked to death!
When in doubt, hit it with a bigger hammer.
Edge Damodred
Rival

Postby Xanith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 pm

I watched it to see a robot punch a monster in the mouth, I not only got that but I got a robot rocket punching a monster in the mouth. My film experience was everything I dreamed of and more.
Xanith
Initiate

Return to Books and Movies