Current Reading

Re: Current Reading

Postby Varyar1G » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 am

I just restarted the RCN series by David Drake. Not even close to my favorite but I find the stories, the characters, and the culture he created very interesting.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced, to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are." - Father Kevin Keaney - 1st MarDiv Chaplain - Korean War
"Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems." - Ryan Job
Varyar1G
Founder/Owner

Postby Sayomara » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 pm

I finished reading Starcraft: Ghost: Nova last night and surprise surprise it as another lacking blizzard book. I will learn one of these days. I should at least write a review of it so that I can say I was worth the effort.

I was going the Read Watch the Rhine next but Starcraft has really put be off that so I'm not sure want I want to read. I have a non-Fiction book called Leaving Earth by Robert Zimmerman(no its not Bob Dylan). I've heard the author give a ton of interviews so I think it will be good.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand-strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WOW-What a RIDE!"
Sayomara
Rival

Postby sekani » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Finished "A Storm of Swords". Nearly ragequit in the middle of the book :lol:

Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy will be next.
Me > You
sekani
Veteran

Postby Tyflikw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Sayomara wrote:I finished reading Starcraft: Ghost: Nova last night and surprise surprise it as another lacking blizzard book. I will learn one of these days. I should at least write a review of it so that I can say I was worth the effort.

oh yeah? I've liked any starcraft book i've read, although im a big sucker for lore expanding books. I'm just finishing up Heaven's Devils. I thought it was pretty cool tbh
Tyflikw
FNG

Postby Lasher » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm

I finished listening to the New Jedi Order series and the Dark Nest Trilogy. The audiobooks are only available in abridged form, and I was NOT happy with what they cut out. Previously, I listened to the Legacy of the Force series, also abridged, and although I wasn't unhappy with it at the time ( tbh, it's hard to be unhappy when Marc Thompson does the reading ), in light of the recent experiences I had, I'm going to give this reading thing a good old college try.

Long story short, I'm reading the Star Wars Legacy of the Force Series.
Lasher
Initiate

Postby SamMeasa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Tyflikw wrote:
Sayomara wrote:I finished reading Starcraft: Ghost: Nova last night and surprise surprise it as another lacking blizzard book. I will learn one of these days. I should at least write a review of it so that I can say I was worth the effort.

oh yeah? I've liked any starcraft book i've read, although im a big sucker for lore expanding books. I'm just finishing up Heaven's Devils. I thought it was pretty cool tbh

Agreed, by I think it also depends on both the writer and subject. I read Ghost last year an put it down with out finishing it, mostly because Nova was not some one I knew much about. Shes just some one that shows up in one mission of SC2.
But when I read "Heaven's Devils" and "I, Mengsk", it got into the lore of those characters. And that's something I wanted to know more about. I wanted to know about the back ground story to these people. I wanted to know where Jim Raynor came from. I wanted to know what drives Arcturus Mengsk.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
SamMeasa
Veteran

Postby Sayomara » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Picked up last night Watch of the Rhine by Ringo and Kratman. Damn its a good its also a lot harsher than some of the earlier posleen war books. I can also see that argument where this is where Ringo's politics start showing up more but its still darn good.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand-strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WOW-What a RIDE!"
Sayomara
Rival

Postby Darmok » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:26 pm

I just finished the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. That was a series that took some unexpected turns and ended up being much darker than I expected towards the end.

Currently, I am reading A Game of Thrones, I know I am late to that party but I love the show so much I know the books have to be so much better.
Darmok
FNG

Postby Edrac » Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 am

Just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. THAT is an awesome book that I advise everyone go and read.

Currently rereading Locke & Key an awesome Comic series (that's coming to a close, with only 3 or so issues to go) Written by Joe Hill and penned by Gabriel Rodriguez.
Edrac
Profligate

Postby Baron von Gosu » Mon May 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Just started book 3 of The Game of Thrones. Also working on Stephen King's 11/22/63.
"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light."
Baron von Gosu
Veteran

Postby Baron von Gosu » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Edrac wrote:Just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. THAT is an awesome book that I advise everyone go and read.

Currently rereading Locke & Key an awesome Comic series (that's coming to a close, with only 3 or so issues to go) Written by Joe Hill and penned by Gabriel Rodriguez.

I've been hesitant to pick up a Joe Hill book because i'm worried I'll compare him too much to his father. Also if you like horror I recommend Jack Ketchum if you haven't read any of his yet.
"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light."
Baron von Gosu
Veteran

Postby Edrac » Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Baron von Gosu wrote:
Edrac wrote:Just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. THAT is an awesome book that I advise everyone go and read.

I've been hesitant to pick up a Joe Hill book because i'm worried I'll compare him too much to his father. Also if you like horror I recommend Jack Ketchum if you haven't read any of his yet.

I wouldn't start with NOS4A2 then, of the 3 books he has out (not counting Locke & Key which everyone should seriously read) NOS4A2 is most like a novel Stephen King would write. Horns and Heart Shaped Box he has more of his own sort of style. Where Stephen King seems to write... bluntly? almost coldly, using the frankness of his descriptions as a method to convey the point of a scene (not saying that's bad in ANY way, just my opinion of his style). Joe Hill is more flowery (for lack of a better term) with his writing. Joe also focuses on an individual character most of the time, where his Father tends to have a full cast of main characters. Joe's first 2 books were very personal stories focusing on just 1 main character and an antagonist, in NOS4A2 he opens up a bit more with a small handful of a main cast (pro and antagonist), but nowhere near the ensemble casts King has had in some of his books (I'm looking at you The Stand).
Edrac
Profligate

Postby SamMeasa » Sat May 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Updating, "To Ride Pegasus", "Pegasus in Flight", "Pegasus In Space" by Anne McCaffrey "Like a Mighty Army" by David Weber and I'm currently reading "Tarzan: the Complete Tales of Edger Rice Burroughs".
The first where killing time waiting for "Like a Mighty Army" which I read threw twice after it came out. As for Tarzan I had bought it the same time as "Warlord of Mars" and didn't want to get any thing new just yet. Also How has Hollywood not been taken to task on how bad they screwed with the source material. More so with Disney.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
SamMeasa
Veteran

Postby kolemsai » Mon May 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Currently re-reading "It's Time! My 360 Degree View of the UFC" by Bruce Buffer
If they stand behind you, give them protection.
If they stand beside you, give them respect.
If they stand against you, show no mercy.

--A really bitchin' Vegeta t-shirt I totally just bought.
kolemsai
Veteran

Postby Umamor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:45 am

Currently on my reading list:

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne by David Gaider
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

And if I can get my hands on the next Temeraire book or Dragons of the Cuyahoga, I'll be working on those too.
Have you or a loved one been infected with Dragon Glaucoma? Are you being denied your magical herbs BECAUSE you're a dragon? Or maybe it's because of a long family history with your... I believe it's a 3 letter word... something to do with the genes... DNA?

Call 1-800-LRD-DNCN for a free consultation with an American teenage dragon-hybrid timetraveller today!
Umamor
Initiate

Previous

Return to Books and Movies