Magic the Gathering: The Movie Series

Magic the Gathering: The Movie Series

Postby Xanith » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:33 pm

In news that will either awe or dismay fans of Magic the Gathering and it's rather detailed backstory, it appears 20th Century Fox has acquired the rights to the series and intends to make a series on the scale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... big-670529

Thoughts? Personally I think the entire planeswalker aspect to the background could make an interesting story mechanic done right for a movie, but I am scared of seeing this end up like D&D the movie. Knowing wizards they will probably have some special one-off card given away at the box office in a cynical cross promotion to try and draw more people into cardboard crack.
Xanith
Initiate

Re: Magic the Gathering: The Movie Series

Postby teh_leet_haxor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 pm

I think 20th Century Fox would be equally mindful about avoiding making it like the D&D movie, and I can only presume that each major release of a Magic version contains just enough original writing to correspond to one movie equivalent to something like the first Harry Potter movie.

I now wonder if this is the first time a movie would be made based on what was originally a card game (and not in the same way as the Pokemon TV series, since every part of that was carefully and specifically designed to market the cards to children).
teh_leet_haxor
Site Admin

Re: Magic the Gathering: The Movie Series

Postby vible » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 pm

teh_leet_haxor wrote:I now wonder if this is the first time a movie would be made based on what was originally a card game (and not in the same way as the Pokemon TV series, since every part of that was carefully and specifically designed to market the cards to children).

Also pokemon started as a video game so i dont know if you can say it is a card based tv series
vible
Veteran

Return to Books and Movies