Heavenly Demon, Chapter Eleven

Moderator: JLMcCafferty

Heavenly Demon, Chapter Eleven

Postby JLMcCafferty » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:00 am

@image http://media.rivalcastmedia.com/staff/w ... -demon.jpg

Heavenly Demon is a fifteen-chapter novel by RCM staffer Kolemsai.

I woke up with my head ringing like a Sunday church bell. I had no idea how long I was out, but I was still in the cave with Laxidan sitting by my side. He helped me sit up, his hand surprisingly soft and warm, like he had a high fever.

“I broke my promise Devin Anson,” Laxidan said in a formal tone, “I monitored your mind as you lay unconscious, to ensure that you were well. You may punish me as you see fit.”

I looked at the demon sitting next to me, staring at the floor in shame. Yes, this was a creature of evil, yet after infiltrating his thoughts his only concern was my health and breaking a promise. He was more human than he realized, and the closest thing I had to a friend. At that moment, I knew I could trust him with my life.

“I'm not going to punish you, Laxidan. You were worried about me, and I thank you for that.” He smiled and nodded. “In fact,” I continued, “I want you to read my mind.” He looked genuinely shocked. “I trust you. It's possible you may see things that I can't. But I want you to show me how to block it like you did, just in case I want some privacy.”

Laxidan nodded again but remained silent. I still didn't know him that well, but I could guess something was troubling him.

“How long was I out?” I suspected if there was something genuinely wrong, he would tell me eventually.

“Fourteen hours. It is now Saturday afternoon.”

My parents were probably worried sick about me but I couldn't leave just yet. My stomach growled hard in protest.

“I have taken care of Richard and Lorna Anson for you Devin,” he replied to my unspoken worries. At least I knew he did as I requested, but it felt okay, not intrusive. “When you return home, they will believe you were out for only a short time.”

That was good, one less thing to worry about. I needed to leave, regardless, but I had to learn a couple of things first.

“Before I teach you anything else Devin, I should mention that it would be wise to not to attempt to read a demon's thoughts again. Our minds work very differently from yours. Humans tend to dwell on only one idea at a time, and even though you can think of other things at the same time, you only have one dominant thought. Demons are different. Our thoughts and memories do not creep up on us like yours do. Ours are always equally dominant at the same time. We cannot become quite as focused as you can, but we can solve many complex problems at once. I do not think your human brain can process it very well, as we have seen. Not only that, but the horrors that we have seen, and the very essence of hell itself, is not for mortal eyes. I have believed that had as much to do with your fainting as the amount of information did.”

Those horrible images were still scarred into my brain, all because of my greed for knowledge. Who was that boy? When did it take place? There were so many questions that I needed answered, yet every time I thought about it, my stomach turned. I never wanted to read another demon's mind again; the mere thought of it made me sick.

“Why did you allow me to break through your barrier?”

Surprise flashed briefly on Laxidan's face. “I did not allow you to do anything. What you accomplished in our mental battle was genuine. It seems there are great depths to your power. Combined with the limitations on my usage of magic due to my imprisonment, you were able to legitimately topple my defenses.”

“I didn't use all that I could have,” I replied. “I'm too scared to. I don't want to lose my soul, so I held back.”

“It is a valid concern Devin. You are the first mortal to use our magic, there are many things that are unknown, and we should proceed with caution.”

“When I was attacked by Steven, I was able to pull him off of me easily, even though he is a lot stronger than me, like I used magic to make myself stronger. How do I do that again?”

Laxidan pondered for a minute, looking puzzled. “That is not something we demons can do with magic. Some are able to augment their strength through non-magical means. Not even Pit Fiends, who are almost constantly engaged in physical combat with the armies of Heaven, can do that with magic. It is something that you must discover on your own.”

If demons can't do it, why can I? It didn't make sense, and the fact that Laxidan didn't have the answers either means nobody knew, or once again he was withholding information from me.

My stomach roared louder, begging me to get home soon. I hadn’t ever been that hungry in my entire life, and I'd gone days without eating, an unfortunate side effect of being invisible.

“Teach me how to block my mind, then I'm going to eat a horse.”

It took another four hours, but I finally was able to shield my mind from Laxidan. He taught me how to keep it active without having to channel my soul constantly, to keep me from being in pain all of the time. We also discovered that magic was draining me physically; by the time I got home I was ready for a Thanksgiving dinner and bed, even though the sun was still up.

My mother didn't seem too worried that I gobbled down four large bowls of beef stew and half a loaf of homemade bread in under ten minutes. In fact she seemed almost pleased as she fetched me some more.

My cell phone went off in my pocket while I was stuffing my face at the table. I wasn't going to check it; I was still painfully hungry, and it seemed like a rude thing to do, but my father insisted. It was a text from Alyssa. We had a book report due on “To Kill a Mockingbird” and Ms. Jones thought it would be a good idea to work on it together. I wasn't sure why. Alyssa was one of the best students in class, but I didn't argue.

“Mom, Dad,” I choked out between mouthfuls of bread, “do you mind if Alyssa comes over to study? We have a report due on Monday.”

My parents shared a look. Mom bared her teeth in a wide smile and Dad puffed out his chest like he had just won a trophy. “Of course Devin,” Mom replied after the longest moment of my life. “Would you like to study out here or in your room?”

What an odd question. “Out here, I suppose.”

“Nonsense,” Dad huffed, “no need to drag all of your books out here and force your mother to hurry up her cleanup. Take her in your room. Besides, your computer is in there, what if you need to Google something?”

I was still pretty new to this having parents thing, but I was sure most parents didn't want their son in his room alone with a girl. My parents were so weird. I didn't argue though, and quickly texted Alyssa back.

It wasn't long before we were sitting together in my room. She was dressed pretty casually; short red skin-tight shorts and a tank top with her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail. She could have been wearing a prom dress, she still looked absolutely stunning. My door was shut, at my father's insistence, and I had communicated to Laxidan that I wanted some privacy, and that I would tell him when I was done, so we were really and truly alone.

My palms were sweaty, and I had trouble forming words in my mouth. My crush was sitting on my bed, looking at me with expectant eyes, even though I had no idea what she was expecting.

“So, uh, have you read the book yet?” I finally managed to squeezed out. She probably had, just as I had. I even had the report done already, but I wasn't going to tell her that.

“Oh yeah,” she sang as she smiled at me, “I've even got my report done.”

I swallowed.

“I actually just wanted to spend some time with you, alone.” She set her book off to the side and leaned closer to me. My heart started racing worse than it did when I used magic. Was this for real?

“I talked to Jeremy on the phone earlier,” she purred as she moved closer to me. “I broke up with him.”

My eyes went wide and my breathing stopped, I couldn't believe it. She had the most popular guy in school, and she dumped him. Could it be for me?

“I want you, Devin.”

She pushed me down and mounted me in one smooth motion. I froze. She leaned down and kissed me, and when our lips touched my world stopped. My eyes rolled to the back of my head as her soft lips caressed mine. I couldn't think of what to do with my hands as her tongue massaged mine, which was stiff as a board. I was so lost. I just got my first ever hug a few days ago, now I'm making out with the hottest chick I've ever seen. I could feel my body tremble as she worked her magic.

She sat up briefly, and pulled off her tank top revealing a perfect body only covered by a plain pink bra. It was the greatest thing I'd ever seen.

“Don't be nervous, just lay there and relax. I'll take care of you.”

She resumed the kissing, and I did my best to do what she wanted. She grabbed my hands and placed one on her back and one on her behind. I tried to mimic her tongue movements as she began to slowly grind on my swollen pants.

My mind was gone. I couldn't think of anything else. My body fell into a natural rhythm with hers as the kissing became more intense. I felt relaxed, the tension in my body melted away, and the mindshield that I had subconsciously been maintaining fell. And that's when I felt it.

Tentacle.

My body sprung out of its trance as the almost blissful pain of my soul filled my chest.

I didn't even bother trying to push it back. I grabbed the tentacle and yanked on it as hard as I could. My heart sank as I heard Alyssa gasp and her body froze. I opened my eyes and almost screamed in rage and horror; Alyssa's eyes were glowing green.

My crush was a succubus.

I pushed her off of me and scrambled to my feet as she cowered to the corner of my room. I still had a firm grip on her tentacle, and I formed two of my own and slammed them against her mind, being careful not to probe it. I had been working with Laxidan all day, and while I might not be as graceful as these demons were, I had one thing they seemed to lack. Brute strength.

I massaged her brain hard, causing her to quiver. Laxidan taught me some basic things about the mind, namely compulsion and defense, so I compelled her to talk.

“Who are you?”

She hesitated before answering as if she was trying to resist. “I am called Cybyl, in your tongue.”

“What do you want with me?” I asked, making no attempt to hide my anger. I reflexively caught another tentacle trying to get to my mind. She was a sly one.

Suddenly my door opened, and there stood my mother, eyes wide in shock. “Mom not now!” I yelled as I reached to shut the door on her. My hand passed right through it. The door and my mother disappeared to reveal my door still shut. That was impossible! I looked back at Alyssa...Cybyl. Her eyes were still glowing, she was still channeling magic. I continued to hold her mind tentacles.

“How did you do that? Laxidan said demons can only channel one type of magic at a time.”

She remained quiet, so I pushed harder. “Answer me demon!”

“I...I don't know,” she whimpered as tears began to roll down her face.

I felt a stab of guilt. Demon or not, this was still Alyssa, the girl I was hopelessly in love with. I couldn't back down, she could kill me.

“What do you want with me?”

She looked at me with her eyes still shining with demonic magic. “I was just curious...”

I pushed hard on her brain. “NO LIES!”

She sobbed again. The glow in her eyes faded, and her mind tentacles disappeared from my grasp. “I was sent by my mother to learn about you, and your connection to Laxidan.”

Her mother? “Who is your mother?”

“In mortal tongue, she is called Felliste. You know her as my aunt, Ms. Jones.”

It made sense, I supposed; both Ms. Jones and Alyssa were far more beautiful than normal women.

“You encountered her in the woods.” Felliste was Laxidan's jailer. That was her.

“Was there anything specific you were trying to find out?”

“We just wanted to know why you were different. Why you could access our magic, and why we could sense Laxidan's magic around you.”

“All questions I would like the answers to as well.” Laxidan's magic in me? That was a new one.

She sat in the corner, silently sobbing. She stayed in her human form. Maybe she didn't want to throw more changes in the mix. She felt different than Felliste, like she seemed regretful. Maybe it was because I was in love with who she pretended to be, Alyssa, but I didn't want to hurt her. I released her mind from my grasp and let go of my power. She looked confused as she stared into my eyes. Alyssa, I refused to use her demonic name, stayed huddled in the corner, filled with fear.

“You can go, if you wish.” I was not afraid of this demon. I knew if she tried to assault me I could defend myself. Despite everything, I still didn't want her to leave. They were evil creatures, that was true, but it seemed demons would be a part of my life forever. The notion didn't scare me as it might once have.

Alyssa stood and put her shirt back on. I expected her to poof away as her mother did, instead she grabbed her book and stopped at the bedroom door.

“I was not going to harm you, Devin” she said in a regal, ancient tone similar to Laxidan.

I don't know why, but I couldn't let her leave. I still lusted after this woman, demon or not. I grabbed her arm and turned her around. This time I was the aggressor. I cupped her face in my hands and kissed her. I might be an enigma to the universe and wield mighty demonic powers, but I was still a teenage boy. One who had urges that were a volcano on the brink of eruption. Urges that I couldn't contain any longer.

And the demon did not resist.

Very Beginning
Last Chapter
Next Chapter
Thoughts? Comments? Hate mail? Get the conversation started on the comments thread below, by email at jen.mccafferty@rivalcastmedia.com, or @BaronessvGosu on the Tweeter
JLMcCafferty
Rival

Return to Heavenly Demon