Heavenly Demon, Chapter Five

Moderator: JLMcCafferty

Heavenly Demon, Chapter Five

Postby JLMcCafferty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 am

@image http://media.rivalcastmedia.com/staff/writing-team/public/images/stories/heavenly-demon/heavenly-demon.jpg

Heavenly Demon is a fifteen-chapter novel by RCM staffer Kolemsai.

CHAPTER FIVE

Neither one of my parents left me alone that night. After dinner they came in my room and were appalled at how bare it was; the only things in there was a bare mattress and a small pile of clothes. They promised to make up for it.

I couldn't get away from people the next day at school either. Alyssa seemed to bump into me at every turn, which was actually pretty awesome. Steve followed me around like a tiger on the prowl, waiting for his chance to strike. It also seemed that I was being followed by every football player on the squad. I never even attempted to try to get in the boiler. But I swore to myself, no matter what, I was getting in there tonight.

I came home to a big surprise. My parents took the day off work to go shopping. The first thing they handed me was the newest iPhone, and they had already put their cell numbers on it.

They covered my eyes as they led me to my room. When I opened the door, they uncovered my eyes to show me a room that was packed with new stuff. A 40 inch flatscreen t.v., Xbox One and Playstation 4 with a ton of games, a new Razer Blade laptop, iPad, a proper bed with sheets and comforter, a desk and a dresser filled with new clothes, and more clothes and a new back pack in the closet. Basically everything a fifteen year old kid could want.

We stayed in for dinner that night, which Mom actually came and got me for. I noticed that neither of my parents were drinking alcohol; Dad had tea and Mom had water. I had never seen them this happy before. Whatever caused all these changes in my life also must have made my parents forget about my brother as well. I didn't want to bring it up and spoil the mood. They seemed so miserable for so long that seeing them like this for the first time made me pretty emotional, which I also kept bottled up out of habit.

When my parents went to bed, I decided it was finally time to see the monster again. It would be a little harder now that everyone knew me, so I decided to be more careful this time.

I dressed in all black and opened my window. I didn't want my parents to notice I was gone, although I had an alibi prepared just in case.

Among the new treasures I'd received was a new bike, but I decided to leave it at home. I didn't want to worry about having to hide it when I reached the school.

I lucked out. Once again the ground in the woods was still dry, so I could cut through the trees. I ran, excited to see the monster once again, but I also didn't want to be gone too long and increase my chances of getting caught.

I exited to an empty street. Most of the house lights were off, just one lonely street lamp. I gave the light a wide berth as I headed up the street cautiously, ready to dive into cover if I saw any lights or movement.

Having to be so careful, with actual consequences, made my heart pump harder than it ever had. I truly felt alive, nothing like the invisible kid that wanted to kill himself just two days ago. But I had to watch myself. I really didn't know what I was doing now. Everything was so new, like I just had woken up from the Matrix.

I made it to the school grounds without incident, thankfully. I went around back to the maintenance door and silently cheered when it was still taped open. Thank God for lazy hobos.

The school was blissfully dark, but I silently made my way to the boiler room door. All it took was one member of the school staff to see me, and I would never be able to do this again. I cracked the door open just enough for me to slide through and entered, closing it as quietly as I could.

The boiler room was oddly lit, as if there was a fire. I felt no heat, so I cautiously continued. There was no crying, I wondered if the monster knew I was coming and was ready to kill me. I wasn't ready to die now, but it was a chance I was willing to take.

As I crept closer to the back I realized where the light was coming from. The hidden door was open. I peeked around the large steel boiler, and I saw the monster once again.

Except, he didn't look like a monster at all.

What I saw was a man. He resembled the monster, but he looked normal. He sat in the corner of the torch-lit room, arms propped up on bent knees. His long black hair covered his face as his head was bowed. There were no strange scars covering his body, no black wings sprouting from his back. His wrists were still shackled, and he didn't seem as large as he was before.

I waited for a moment, trying to see if the creature would move. When he didn't I swallowed my fear and entered.

“Hello Devin,” the creature said as he raised his head. His eyes were no longer red. Instead, they looked human, and his teeth no longer ended in fangs.

“How did you know my name?”

“I know everything about you, Devin Anson, son of Richard Anson and Lorna Woodbury. I can read your mind.”

I immediately became paranoid of my thoughts and tried to blank my mind. This monster could use it against me.

“Do not be afraid, I mean you no harm. Although you are correct to think of me as monster.”

His words did nothing to ease my anxiety. “Who and what are you?” I asked. “Why are you here?”

“I am called Laxidan in mortal tongue, and I am a demon.” He paused for a moment, possibly to judge my reaction. “I am what you would call an incubus, used to topple mortal nations, cause strife among the world of men, and steal souls.”

I had read a lot about religion in my abundance of alone time, but I had never heard of an incubus.

“You have heard of the succubus, yes?”

I stepped back. I wasn't used to having my questions answered before they were asked, hell I wasn't used to my questions being answered at all. I had heard of a succubus, female demons that allured men and ate their souls.

“You are mostly correct, although they do not 'eat' souls I am a male version, with different talents to accomplish the same goal.”

Now I feared losing my soul. Even if he said he didn't want to harm me, who said that having your soul stolen hurt?

The demon chuckled. “Again, you are wise to consider my choice of words. Do not lose that. I promise you, they are sincere.”

“Why are you here?” I asked my question before my mind could form the words, I had to be careful, no matter what this demon said.

“I am imprisoned for eternity in the realm of mortals. There are acts so vile that not even Hell will tolerate them.”

I couldn't fathom what would be so horrible that could cause banishment from such an evil place, and I wanted to know.

“There are things that I wish to remain unknown. Just know that what I did was enough to anger the Overlords.”

I figured I wouldn't get anything else out of him, so I decided to change the subject.

“What is happening to me?”

Laxidan paused for a moment. “I am afraid I cannot answer that question at this time.”

God damn it! Why can't anyone tell me what's going on? Did anyone even know? Was I just imagining it?

The demon looked concerned. “Your anger is not unjust, Devin Anson. I do know what is happening, but I am unable to answer. I'm sure you will find out soon enough. This is not a product of your imagination. What is happening to you is as real as I am before you.”

I was still angry, but relieved in a way. At least this wasn't some weird coincidence or something. I just had to convince myself to trust a demon.

I wasn't sure what time it was, but I had the feeling that it was getting late. I needed to get home before my parents woke up, and I was sure this Laxidan was not going to give me any more answers.

The demon stood up, looking rather perfect and beautiful. If I didn't know any better, I would say he was human.

“Your mother and father are not awake yet, but you are correct in leaving. If you ever need me, just think of my name. I can read your mind and communicate with you no matter where you are.”

I turned and left, now worried about my own thoughts.

Very Beginning
Last Chapter
Next Chapter
Last edited by JLMcCafferty on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: navigation link, front page icon 2015-12-6 (original post date 2015-11-18)
JLMcCafferty
Rival

Return to Heavenly Demon