Heavenly Demon, Chapter Four

Moderator: JLMcCafferty

Heavenly Demon, Chapter Four

Postby JLMcCafferty » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:00 am

@image http://media.rivalcastmedia.com/staff/writing-team/public/images/stories/heavenly-demon/heavenly-demon.jpg

Heavenly Demon is a fifteen-chapter novel by RCM staffer Kolemsai.

CHAPTER FOUR

I raced out of class, hoping to lose the bullies in the sea of wandering students. I didn't get far before someone gently grabbed my wrist.

It was Alyssa. She was quite a bit shorter than me, shorter than I thought. I had never seen her this close, and her beauty was magnified tenfold. At that moment, I wasn't sure if she or her aunt were the more beautiful of the two.

“Hi,” she said with a perfect smile, “I'm Alyssa. I can't believe I've been in class with you this whole time.”

The chills down my back intensified, thwarting my ability to speak. If my awkward silence bothered her, she didn't show it. In fact, she seemed to like it.

“Well, I just wanted to introduce myself, and if you ever need a partn...”

Jeremy forced his way between us, shoving me back.

“Stay away from my girl, you little bitch.”

Jeremy loomed over me menacingly as five huge guys, his lineman that followed him around just like the cliché, surrounded us.

“If I ever see you talk to her again, you'll regret it.”

Someone shoved two of the bigger guys aside, and pushed Jeremy into some lockers.

Steven grabbed me by my shirt, and easily lifted me up to my tip toes, bringing me a hair's width from his face.

The other three huge men closed in as Jeremy recovered. He tried to shove Steve back, but barely nudged him.

“Who the fuck do you think you are, Francis?” Jeremy chided.

Steve turned his head like a hungry lion, never loosening his grip on me. “He's mine, Blondie. Stay out of my way.”

Jeremy didn't back down, and got in his face. “I have beef with him. You can have him when I'm done.”

“And what are you going to do about it, pretty boy?” Steve mocked as a sinister smile cracked his lips, “sick your fat puppy dogs on me?” His laugh would make an anime villain proud.

Nobody talked to Jeremy Johnson like that, and he took offense.

“You're just a bitch who rolls around on the floor with other guys in spandex. I can take you without them!”

Steven didn't flinch. Instead he shoved the quarterback with one hand, knocking him off his feet and back into the lockers.

“Ha! Pathetic!”

A crowd had gathered as the five linemen closed in on the wrestler. Steve finally dropped me and turned to face them.

“So, you ready for a doggie treat? Come get some, we wouldn't want you fatties to go without your afternoon snack!”

Steve seemed alive now, a direct contrast to his usual mood. Where he was dark and somber in class, here he was full of energy and smiling.

The linemen began to run at Steve until a whistle blew.

Principal Fitzgerald broke through the crowd, glaring at everyone, including me.

“That's enough boys,” he yelled through his mustache. He pointed at the linemen. “You, get to practice!” They scurried off as the balding principal turned to Steve and Jeremy.

“We have not had a single all-state athlete in this school's history, and now we have two of them who are ready to kill each other! I will not let you two boys ruin your futures. Jeremy get to practice, and Steven come with me, we are calling your father to pick you up. Both of you are to come to my office first thing in the morning, or I will have you both kicked out of your sports.”

Jeremy shot Steve a look, then directed one at me, before he stormed away. Steve didn't move, but bent down and got so close to me that our noses touched.

“This isn't over, Anson.”

Principal Fitzgerald tried to grab his arm to lead him away, but the wrestler shrugged it off and walked towards the principal's office.

The crowd broke up, and I turned around to see Alyssa still standing there. She grabbed my hand, slipped in a sheet of paper, and winked as she turned back into Ms. Jones' room.

I stood alone in shock. What the hell was going on? I decided to head home. I could try to see the monster after the sun went down.

I opened the paper. It was a simple “Call me” and a number. Despite all of the trauma that just happened, I couldn't help but smile.

I took my time getting home, admiring the first thing I had ever been given in my life. The “a” in call was a heart, and I almost had the number memorized already. It even smelled like her.

I didn't even look up from the paper as I walked in the front door and set my bag on the dining room table.

But the sound of shattering glass sure got my attention.

I looked up to see my mother, wide eyed and frozen. Her lip quivered as tears started to fill her eyes.

“Hi Mom.”

The sound of my voice snapped her out of her trance, and she ran to me, grabbing me with the biggest hug I'd ever gotten. She was sobbing “Oh, my baby boy” as she petted the back of my head. She grabbed me by my shoulders and pushed me to arms length, crying and laughing at the same time.

“Dick!” she yelled. “Dick, get in here now!”

I heard the bathroom door open and my father hurried up the hallway, buttoning his pants in the process. 'What the hell, Lorna...”

Just like my mother he stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes were wide in shock, and maybe terror.

“Hey Dad.”

Again, just like with Mom, the sound of my voice caused him to run up and hug me, but only briefly. Apparently my father did not like hugging other men. He stepped back and looked at me, with my mom hanging off my shoulders. Finally, he let out a hearty laugh.

“Don't put anything on the stove, honey!” he proclaimed in a loud voice. “The Ansons are going out tonight!”

Just then his cell phone rang. He answered, mumbled something affirmative and shut it.

“I gotta go for a bit, it was work,” he said as he grabbed his keys. “I'll be back soon, then we're going out.” he was gone in a flash, leaving me with my giddy mother.

It was turning out to be a pretty good day.

Very Beginning
Last Chapter
Next Chapter
JLMcCafferty
Rival

Return to Heavenly Demon