Testing the Shoutcast Stream!

Testing the Shoutcast Stream!

Postby BiomedAlchemist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:16 am

Hey, all! This weekend you may notice the shoutcast stream "widget" on the left side of our main page spring to life and hibernate sporadically. We are going to test some solutions for a 24-hour automated DJ system so we can play legally-acquired video game music whenever a show is not airing live, and eventually include the ability for YOU the community to place a certain number of requests per hour from the website. This is an exciting idea we want to implement, but we need to explore the necessary logistics before moving forward. If you do happen to catch it when it's airing, feel free to give us feedback on the forums regarding your experience with the web player!

And before I go, I wanted to thank you all for the encouraging messages we've received over the past week about the new site and community. It means a lot to know the work we've put into this is appreciated by you. Our goal is to make RivalCastMedia.com the kind of site you will visit at LEAST once a day and always be able to read, hear, or watch something new and interesting. It would be pointless to do any of this without you, so thank you for the support!

RivalCast Media: Now with 24-Hour Video Game Music? More News to Come.

-BMA
BiomedAlchemist
Veteran

Re: Testing the Shoutcast Stream!

Postby Bazeleel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

I love this idea!!!
Bazeleel
Veteran

Postby Manly_Stuff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Shoutcast server appears to be streaming without hiccups, huzzah!
Manly_Stuff
Veteran

Postby Umamor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:57 pm

[quote="Manly_Stuff"]Shoutcast server appears to be streaming without hiccups, huzzah![/quote]

Good on my end too. Doesn't even have that laggy, low quality sound to it. Crystal.
Have you or a loved one been infected with Dragon Glaucoma? Are you being denied your magical herbs BECAUSE you're a dragon? Or maybe it's because of a long family history with your... I believe it's a 3 letter word... something to do with the genes... DNA?

Call 1-800-LRD-DNCN for a free consultation with an American teenage dragon-hybrid timetraveller today!
Umamor
Initiate

Postby BiomedAlchemist » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Exactly what we were hoping to hear! Although the current arrangement will not be permanent (working on a more long-term home tonight), we're going to go ahead and keep it up for the night. :) EVENTUALLY, you will hopefully be able to browse the music library and make requests.

Glad you all enjoy it! Feel free to stay tuned into the server as long as you like, as I do not plan to pull the plug on it until we're ready to make the transfer, and it would only be down 10 seconds or so. Haxor did an awesome job of including a non-flash player on the front page so it's more universal when it comes to browser compatibility, so props to him. :) Farewell, adobe flash!

-BMA
BiomedAlchemist
Veteran

Postby Techpriest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:51 am

Will tonights EC be streaming on the new Shoutcast Stream?
Techpriest
Veteran

Postby BiomedAlchemist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am

I'm getting with him today on that and will comment further when I know. :) As far as the server is concerned, we're all set.

-BMA
BiomedAlchemist
Veteran

Postby Umamor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

[quote="BiomedAlchemist"]I'm getting with him today on that and will comment further when I know. :) As far as the server is concerned, we're all set.

-BMA[/quote]

So... what exactly happened?
Have you or a loved one been infected with Dragon Glaucoma? Are you being denied your magical herbs BECAUSE you're a dragon? Or maybe it's because of a long family history with your... I believe it's a 3 letter word... something to do with the genes... DNA?

Call 1-800-LRD-DNCN for a free consultation with an American teenage dragon-hybrid timetraveller today!
Umamor
Initiate

Postby BiomedAlchemist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Umamor wrote:
BiomedAlchemist wrote:I'm getting with him today on that and will comment further when I know. :) As far as the server is concerned, we're all set.

-BMA

So... what exactly happened?

This is actually a two-parter! Incident #1 is something happened on Emperor's side that caused SAM Broadcaster to time-out with the Shoutcast servers (30 seconds is the limit before a timeout occurs). The settings for RCM's shoutcast servers on his SAM instance got wiped in the process. At the time, we did not realize this, so I just got a PM to check the Shoutcast servers because VTW was fine but RCM was not. THIS leads us to incident #2.

Incident #2 was a lucky catch. There was a temp file spawned by a service that was NOT supposed to be running anymore on that server that had been growing rapidly throughout the day (yeah yeah, penis joke here)! When Incident #1 happened and I was asked to check out the server, I suddenly discovered that there was only 1 mb of file space left on the system partition. This is NOT good and it was either a matter of rectifying it immediately or allowing the server to reach a state where it had to be rebooted via remote power plug (which can be done remotely from a web control panel, BUT it's your last option and should be avoided). "Yanking the plug" out from under a server can be risky, and the worst case scenario would have been losing the OS partition. I had to re-install the OS once last year due to some problems and it was not fun. :) Anyway, that's a worst case scenario, but certainly not something I wanted to risk on a Sunday night mid-show.

Since time was pressing, I slammed the reboot command into the terminal and decided to deal with any fallout later, which is usually not how I prefer to do things, but time was too pressing to explain that we needed to go on a quick music break in this particular instance. The idea of a 30 second reboot > idea of 15 minute wait for the terminal to respond to commands and still possibly not work > idea of hours of re-installs/configures! Anyway, I don't know about the rest of you, but that was an eventful 15 minutes for me! :)

The service that was supposed to be disabled is disabled again (will be removed tomorrow), and I've set up a job to keep it killed if it ever tries to run again. I still can't prevent incident #1, of course, as that was a problem beyond the server's scope. It was waiting on a re-connection the whole time after that 30-second timeout.

tldr: Coincidental hiccup with SAM led to a server check which revealed a problem that would've kicked us in the teeth for a few hours in the worst case. I had to "rip the bandaid" off quickly to put things back in order rather than the longer downtime alternative. Permanent solution in place, now!

-BMA
BiomedAlchemist
Veteran

Postby vible » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:42 pm

I got to thank you bio! This is the most complete explanation of why something has gone wrong for any internet based thing ive ever heard! I really like that you didnt just write: Yeah the server crashed and we had to fix it.
vible
Veteran

Postby Techpriest » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

yeah I want more posts like that :D
Techpriest
Veteran

Postby Umamor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Are we broadcasting in Stereo tonight?

Umamor
Initiate

Postby BiomedAlchemist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Umamor wrote:Are we broadcasting in Stereo tonight?

Looks like Emperor is on the RCM High Bandwidth stream, but not the Low Bandwidth stream.

-BMA
BiomedAlchemist
Veteran

Postby sokkimlay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you for your sharing . Very helpful suggestions :P
[url=https://thai-moviesreview.blogspot.com/][color=#F3F7FA]หนังตลก[/color][/url]
sokkimlay
FNG

Return to News